Mazda3 Forums banner

Auto Tranny Jerked on me w/ a flashinig "AT" light

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  VWandDodge 
#1 ·
Aight so I have a 2009 2.3 engine w/ AutoMagic Tranny....

It has the worst designed Dipstick to see if I have the correct level of ATF in it...Just tonight when driving home my car jerked really hard and the "AT" on my dash flashed...scared the crap outta me since that never happened before...That Dipstick is hard to figure out for some reason...So anyone else here have a trick to know if I have the correct or if I overfilled it on accident?...

Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
If your dipstick has only one pair of marks like the one in my 2011, then it probably is read the same way. But I don't like to assume anything like that, so hopefully someone owning the same model/gen as yours will post with the correct 'book' procedure.

#4 ·
Nope...No LImp Mode...I was afraid to drive after that happened but I was only 2 miles away from home so I drive slowly...haha...When I got home I added a little more ATF in and ever since then the car drives perfect again...No errors "so far"..(knock on Cyber Wood)

Not sure if I over filled or if it was actually low on ATF....Since I cant get the Dipstick to read...I will never know now haha

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know if I'm understanding exactly what you're saying, but in the picture you posted, the level looks clear to me. The level looks to be just below the "C" on the stick, which would be overfilled by around 1 quart (or 2 quarts if you're checking with the fluid cold). However, I'm also assuming you are checking with the vehicle idling, parked on a very level surface, and you are cleaning off the dipstick and pulling it out again to check the level.

You really need to get the actual 'book' level checking procedure for your specific vehicle. Your vehicle's dipstick looks like mine, and I'm making an assumption that the level checking is the same as well, but that could be incorrect. You should be able to find an owner's manual for your vehicle online from the Mazda website.

#8 ·
That picture I posted is not mine...thats just a picture I found on GOOGLE to show what the Dipstick design looks like....mine does not give off a solid line for the levels...Everytime I pull the Dipstick theres ATF all over it..can not tell the actual level of ATF!...It sucks I have no clue if I am Overfilled or not..

#7 ·
I'm betting the TCM is the issue. When that goes out, or is going bad, there will be a resounding TUMP at the floors which will make you think and feel like you slammed into a parking lot stop block. This is also followed up by the transmission lights on the dash (gear numbers, etc) lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Mazda redesigned the TCM at least four or five times. They used to be $750 (new), and the later suffix the better. i.e. 'E' better than getting the 'C'. Search the Googles for TCM rebuilders. IIRC, one I had located on e-Bay is based in San Diego.

Back when my TCM took a dump, it was at 75mph on the highway with the above behaviors. Yes, that scared the hell out of me. I got off the road and limped home at 35-mph on side roads. No matter what I did, that thing thumped and slammed constantly. I located a new TCM for $400 and paid a transmission shop to replace it.

The TCM is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and is located under the battery, attached right to the transmission. Seems the heat radiating from the transmission is what causes them to degrade. A lot of people claim the computer needs to be programmed to play nice with a new TCM, but that's typical urban myth/Internet BS.

#9 ·
Yup you are totally right!...(sad Face)

This morning I went to start up my car...automatic CEL light and "AT"...car wont switch into gear....UGH!..

F'in FoMoCo parts...Pretty sure thats the damn issue...haha

I only have 147k miles and these kinda issues should not happen right?

Damn....Well now on the hunt for a replacement one....

#11 ·
I recommend that you have the codes read before hanging on any parts (which will require a reader capable of reading the TCM). Although I'm familiar with what VWandDodge wrote, and agree with him about lots of TCMs overheating and going bad, the part about 'fluid all over the dipstick' sounds a bit ominous to me. Regardless if the TCM is bad or not, the stick should only ever have a solid fluid mark somewhere on the bottom (or nothing at all if the fluid level is too low). Fluid 'all over' sounds like it's being 'spit' or churned up onto the stick, neither of which can be a good thing. Perhaps the codes set in TCM can provide helpful information about exactly what's going on with this tranny.

#12 ·
I forgot to add when the code is pulled for the TCM, the error is U0101. With his symptoms, the solenoids aren't sure how to behave, which would lead to fluid be churned internally. Check the codes, but I'm betting that's the issue. I doubt low or high fluid levels cause what he's experiencing.

#17 ·
SO....***UPDATE***

My super rad Boss gave me straight up cash to help me out buy a new TCM and also my awesome Mom....SO....after taxes I bought a Brand NEW TCM version "E" supposedly for $536 smackers and being delivered tomorrow!!!....So Penny will hopefully be back in action tomorrow!

I wonder if the TCM is a FoMoCo brand part?....Is that why its shitty?...LoL

Ok...Well thats it for now!

#18 ·
Another UPDATE**

New TCM Installed...and WOWZA...I think my car drives even better now....Not sure this newer version of the TCM tweeked the gearing or something....it just seems to accelerate smoother...Or it can just be mental...haha/

Glad I had people to help me out to get my Penny kick'in again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.