Mazda3 Forums banner

Popping in the front drivers side wheel area at full turn

6K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  snoopdog 
#1 · (Edited)
2008 Mazda 3 sedan, 180k miles

I can repeat this sound ever time, but I have yet to pinpoint what it is. Within the last 20k miles I have replaced the tie rods on the front, both lower control arms, full strut towers and both CV axles. While going into my garage if I have my wheel turned all the way to the right and give it engine a good amount of gas I hear two or three pops come from the front. The best way to describe it would seem like two pieces of metal under high stress and popping, like a spring under a load. All the previous parts were replaced just to do it since I hit the 150k mark I did some massive maintenance all the way around. It is loud enough when I have my GF drive it into the garage I can hear it perfectly but I cannot pinpoint it since the car is in motion. If the wheel is not turned to the full extent I do not think I have ever heard it. I also do not hear it going down the road or with the wheel turned the opposite direction. The front struts are the Monroe Quick-Strut. Is there something you are supposed to do to these before mounting them? Are they garbage? I may be barking up the wrong tree thinking it is the strut but I also do not want to get stranded.

#4 ·
I installed a set of Monroe Quick Struts in my 06 when I had it. No issues with them, so unless something didn't get tightened down all the way, I don't think they would be the issue. Have you ruled out the shroud in the wheel well catching on the tires? I did have an issue with a popping sound at one point that was also happening when I would be turning, and that's what it turned out to be (ended up wearing a small hole in the lower edge of the shroud). It had somehow gotten pulled forward, and the retainer was pulled through it. I just removed the retainer, and put it back in place after pushing the shroud back into place.

#6 ·
Finding noises is no fun...

I've had issues with strut tower bearings before.. but could possibly be the cv shaft?? If you can replicate the noise while driving slowly/safely, you may be able to get right up next to it. Try to figure out if it's coming from around the top of the strut tower or the bottom?

#7 ·
My first thought was the strut, which was replaced a few years ago. I have now ruled that out. Yeah even when you get close to it, the noise radiates enough to not be able to pin it down. Using a gopro it seems to be the loudest next to the wheel itself.

#14 ·
It is sad that I can reproduce this noise and still cannot pinpoint it. A video is worth a thousand words?

Listen to when I am hitting the gas and the car is put under a bind. The noise is deeper in real life, because of the camera it sounds like more of a light clicking. While doing this I have the wheel turned to the far right and going up my driveway into my garage. Remember it only does this during a sharp turn, more pronounced going uphill.

#16 ·
I'm curious if the control arm bushings are worn or if it's a strut linkage. There seems to me a lot of movement in the steering system, which is indicative of worn bushings. Have you put the front end up on jack stands and performed wiggle movements to determine possible sources?

#17 ·
Well like I said the entire control arm on both sides have been replaced and they are tight as they can be. The video may look like the steering system has movement but it definitely does not look light it to me. The wheel is tight and there is no play that I can tell. I will take a crowbar to everything and see if there is any play. Yeah I have the car up in the air off and one for weeks now and everything feels super tight. Like I said, most everything is new....

end links - front and back
front control arms, entire assembly.
all shocks and struts replaced
cv axles - 5 years old
front tie rod ends - 2 years old and still feel super tight

#18 ·
As a test I drove up to the local elementary school since they have a large parking lot. Turning the wheel to the sharp right in a circle did nothing, but applying a slight amount of gas now makes a repeated loud clunk noise every half a second. So nothing without gas applied but with gas applied clunk...clunk....clunk. My thought is the extra pressure on that axle from applying the gas is putting something in that outer axle in a bind. Feels like that CV axle is bad. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.