Mazda3 Forums banner

Sluggish acceleration for 1.6 EU

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Dejan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've just bought a 2004 1.6 (Z6) manual European Mazda 3 with 200k kms. My biggest problem is that the car feels extremely sluggish, especially coming from a 323 / Protege 1.6 2003. I've downloaded a "dyno" app called PerfExpert (and spent an afternoon looking for details like gear ratios and drag coefficient).

I've done a dozen runs today, deleted the obviously bad ones (where it thought redline was under 6000 rpm), and looked at the results. The surprise is that the car can still do close to 100% of the factory specs! 105 PS / 145 Nm.

Here are all my results (one is with AC on, it takes -15 PS from engine power!):
https:// network.perfexpert-app.com/myperfexpert/results?vehicle=Yy5Bj2Hc8V

Even if the car is OK at peak performance, under 3000 rpm acceleration still feels extremely bad. Or at least it feels like that especially compared to the 323 / Protege. What can I do to make it more powerful in the lower half? I'm thinking of replacing spark plugs and possibly the MAS sensor.

Does anyone with a 1.6 BK has any dyno results or is willing to do a few runs with PerfExpert and share them? I'm really curious if my curves look OK or not.

BTW, what is the official rev limit on the 1.6 Z6 engines?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes it's bad. I don't regret buying the car cause of it's great condition, but I sure regret I didn't spend more time to get 2.0 or 2.3...
1.6l has its peak power around 4000rpm and it all ends very fast, I'd say at 5000rpm. So sad... And it's as thirsty as 2.0 if not more...
It's very hot in EU atm, so I can confirm it actually feels like ac is taking at least 10hp, it shows the most on take-offs, but on normal days it's better. Still love everything else about it 🙂

#3 ·
It has been years, decades really, since I had a 1.6 liter engine in a car with air conditioning; on hot days when you're wearing a business suit and have the A/C cranked on MAX, the car was barely able to get out of it's own way.

I feel for y'all, but thems is the facts of life for small engines.

#4 ·
What can I do to make it more powerful in the lower half? I'm thinking of replacing spark plugs and possibly the MAS sensor.
If you're still on the thread, I did this today https://youtu.be/d71WLXHYuvI . After the final run on 4000rpm and traditional Italian tune-up the car had more life in it. But I have to confirm it after a normal cold run. I used two bottles though and my car has 130000km's. The exhaust did smell a little like burnt carbon after I came back to the garage, so it did its job to some degree.

I am thinking to turbo it conservatively, no more than 150hp (they say that this engine will toast at more than 155hp or over 7psi), but I have to make sure what tüv will have to say and I have a bad feeling...

#5 ·
Turbocharging any engine not designed for a turbo will shorten the life of the engine; fact of life, the greater the boost and the poorer the engine management, the shorter the life. That said, there is absolutely no reason why over 7psi or over 155hp will toast the engine, IF THE TURBO APPLICATION IS PROPERLY TUNED AND MANAGED.

The above said, doing a proper turbocharging job on a modern engine is not for the feint of heart or the light of wallet; the fact remains, selling the car and using the proceeds (plus extra cash) to buy something faster will virtually always yield superior results with less cash outlay.

#6 ·
First run from cold after valve treatment was smoother, small stutters in low rpm have dissapeared, so the performance gain even though not greately noticable is present. It feels nicer to drive and car is more quiet.

To get a good 2.0 or bigger I'd had to import it, cause they are all beaten here if they show up... >>>proof<<<
I renewed the suspension to last me another five years and if the engine witht the turbo installed can carry me five years It'll do the job for me.

On the other hand being restricted to small engines whole my life made me develope a thing for small turbos... Still remember being a teenager drooling over Lancia Beta Montecarlo Turbo 1.4 450hp while floring Fiat Uno 1.4 turbo :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.