Mazda3 Forums banner

2006 Mazda 3 2.3L noise problem in low gears under acceleration

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bommai 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Mazda 3 2.3L S Touring model Manual transmission that has a problem with noise under low gear acceleration especially when the engine is not fully warmed up.

I only have 96k miles and kept up with regular maintenance. My mechanic could not figure out what it was so he asked me to wait until it got worse! Basically if I start the car and put it into first gear and start accelerating there is an extra noise in addition to the regular engine noise. If I ease up in the gas this noise goes away. When I shift to 2nd gear and accelerate the noise is still there. And again it is related to accelerating under load. If I put car in neutral and press the gas the engine is smooth. Also the car still accelerates does not hesitate or anything. I hope this is not a major problem. Any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2 ·
My mechanic thinks it is the motor mounts that causing the problem. Unrelated to that, just two days ago I had to get my car towed to his shop to get my clutch slave cylinder replaced. It was leaking and preventing me from changing gears. This work cost me $400.

He has quoted me $545 for parts and labor and tax to replace the three motor mounts and said it is not urgent.

Anyone here experienced the same issue?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes minus the clutch slave cylinder and raise you an entire transmission. Engine failed shortly after.

And the aforementioned issue sounds more like an oil problem perhaps vvt related or a bearing noise on the accessories. Alternator, idle tensioner, water pump etc.

Does it alleviate after changing oil?

Good luck.

#7 ·
I changed oil and it did not change the sound. If I run the engine in neutral it is smooth. If I put in 1st gear and accelerate it is loud. Once I cruise it is not loud. However the loudness changes based on different occasions. Sometimes if the car is already warm and I stop and start it, it does not make as much sound. If I go out pot hole there is some sound. It feels like a combination of mount and something else. I am perplexed. I don’t want to spent $545 and change all 3 mounts if I don’t have to. I just watched a video on how to change the passenger side mount. Looks simple expect I need help with using a jack and the tools. I might ask my friends about it.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.