Mazda3 Forums banner

Windshields ALL about the glass

14K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Tekboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Although my windshield is still in pretty good shape it does have a few nicks and in the wrong places...:serious:. I opt for a glass that is a little better quality and slightly softer giving it a little better chip resistant then the MAZDA factory glass.
How does one even ascertain that information? OE parts are usually better quality than aftermarket replacements especially when it comes to stuff like body and glass. A friend got their windshield replaced with a Pilkington one which is supposed to be one of the better brands and even that had visible distortion in part of the glass.

#2 ·
How does one even ascertain that information? OE parts are usually better quality than aftermarket replacements especially when it comes to stuff like body and glass. A friend got their windshield replaced with a Pilkington one which is supposed to be one of the better brands and even that had visible distortion in part of the glass.
I would say that is an excellent choice and the one I will be replacing mine with.
:$$:

I once had a conversation with a "GLASS" guy (owner and operator of hi company for over 20 years) about the different quality of glass. He told me it was all about the cost and that most all glass was the same.
Yet when I compared glass quality for consistent thickness ,wave , hardness, clarity there seemed to be big differences in the glass? I made it a mission to research it. The information is out there and it is "crystal clear" as glass about the different brands. :wink2: :laugh:

#4 · (Edited)
I had the shop bring out 4 different aftremarket brands they carried and a MAZDA oem.

Pilkington by far was the best. That will be the one I use. I might add that my M3 has all the windshield sensors and what not and out of all the ones even the seal and other parts just looked better over all which included positioning even over the oem MAZDA. Pilkington uses OEM seals and other components on their windshields?

This is not my first experience uses Pilkington windshields. It was my replacement choice for my MINIs as well for other reason having to do with sizing and naturally chip resistance. The MINI windshield just stick out and says chip me!

For me windshields are cheap and I dont like looking through impaired vision caused by tiny chips and having rain and snow wipe challenges with the wipers. So changing a windshield every other years or less on some of my cars is normal for me.

#5 ·
So... No comment on this part?

#6 ·
Please forgive the response but,
No..I don't want to comment. It will only serve to open a "Pandora's box" of responses I do not really want on my none techie thread. Besides been there done that on several forums over the last 2o years and I know how a thread about the quality of glass will go. I may suggest if you really want to learn about windshields look up what it takes to make them. Your answer will be there.

#8 ·
I thought this would be a good place to start a thread about the conversation of mostly windshield. Although we can talk about the other glass as well.
What do you all use?
What in your experience has been the best brand?

And so on......

This thread has come up on countless forums. As we all know sooner or later we need to consider replacing the windshield.

#10 ·
This thread has come up on countless forums. As we all know sooner or later we need to consider replacing the windshield.
Um, I've never needed to replace a windshield after owning cars manufactured across multiple decades (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 10s) except for the aughts ('00 - '09). Been driving for 35 years.

Maybe I'm an anomaly? BTW, in Colorado I get free windshield chip repair from Geico. They do it for free because they know it's cheaper than replacing my windshield after it cracks.

I didn't know that people ever replace their windshields unless they completely crack. Where have I been all these years...

#11 ·
I suppose the number one reason I replace a windshield is it is not simply cracked, to use this info;

Prevents Glares on the Road
A clean, undamaged windshield is less susceptible to sun glares. Though, a damaged one can easily reflect glares because of the scratches, chips, and cracks in it. Getting a windshield replacement prevents this issue and keeps you safe.

This ^^^^ also applies to wiper performance. The worst shape a windshield is the less *effective a wiper is. And we all know that very few *replace their wiper every season as they should. (*that's another thread topic)

Last year CAL TRANS (California Department of Transportation) paid for one windshield in one of my cars and a independent Trucking company 2 years ago paid for a windshield of mine from a "wreckless" driver filmed from my dash cam including the impact that cracked my windshield.

#16 ·
Clarity about responses in this thread from the beginning. Having read this forums guidelines and considerations I asked members to start a thread about windshields/glass more intended for the purpose of discussions and talk about automotive glass mainly windshields. Before starting the tread I obtained permission and requested with the Administration/moderators that if I start a thread to transfer comments pertaining to windshields on my personal none technical project thread to this thread to further the conversation about auto glass solely for that purpose.

#19 ·
I've had one or two windshields replaced in 30 years of vehicle ownership. In Oklahoma, it's tire patching that's common and free by most tire shops even if the customer doesn't purchase tires.

#21 ·
Well I will say some members are trying but still have not taken the time to really research and look into auto glass manufacturing.

If you you did you would find that most of your lats response is both accurate and inaccurate depending on the year month and country.

There is a great article published in a current model car magazine that has a lot of good information about windshield. Maybe if you look and research as I suggested you may find it?

The best information in general terms about windshields is from people who have experience having several replaced and not just one or 2. You learn as you go with these unless your in the business.

That"s why this thread as always on forums brings out the most interesting responses from members.

I just this day had an hour conversation with an owner of a glass shop exactly about this thread topic quality of glass for windshields. Even he said you have to keep up to date on what when and where about auto glass. And OEM Factory is constantly changing where and who makes it for them. That my friends was a hint for ya.....:wink2:

#22 ·
I moved to Central Florida nearly five years ago, and I had the same problem with EVERY used car I have bought down here. They were all "pocked" from sand, and at night, the view was like someone had poured milk on the windshield, and further, every light refracted on the windshield. I have had varying experiences with replacement windshields, as follows.

1) 99 Honda Civic...windshield replaced by insurance company. One distorted spot on passenger side, major overall improvement.
2) 89 Honda Accord...Safelite windshield from insurance. Was ok, but never looked quite right. Still an improvement.
3) 05 Kia Optima...Windshield replaced by insurance company...major distortion on passenger side_windshield origin unknown.
4) 08 Mazda 3... Out of pocket Glass USA...flawless windshield. I now use teflon wipers, and vision is flawless in regular rain. Serious rain leaves fast glimpses of clarity, but no smearing. The invoice doesn't name the brand of glass, but my memory tells me it is safelite. If it was daylight, I would go look.

#23 ·
Ok sooooooo here what I did. There are three chain windshield sales/installation companies with in about 15 minutes from my house. I called all of them and ask the brands they had for my 2018 Mazda 3. I was surprised that they had all the glass in stock and that there was 5 different windshield manufacturing companies witch also included 2 that supply to MAZDA. :surprise: :laugh:

After looking at all of them and comparing clarity,density of glass (measuring it at different point) and the basic mostly generic information that can be found, the best choice was a company FAYAO. The glass was near perfect and I could not find any flaws,waves,inconsistent glass depths etc. I also got to choose from 4 they had in stock to pick the best of the best. But I could not find any difference between the 4.
Advanced American Auto Glass | Fuyao Glass America

This is NOT an endorsement for the glass only that my anal retentive,a little OCD and a practicing perfectionist found FAYAO glass this time to be my choice for the replacement of my still pretty new :frown2: windshield.

I should mention that this was not a straight forward R&R. It seems that my MAZDA being a 2018 and with some of the factory sensors and camera's on the glass a full replacement with all needed items was not available for my VIN yet from even MAZDA. So some of the hardware had to be carefully removed from my windshield and installed on the new one. The good point for me aside from my wholesale price and no labor charge or TAX the shop wanted my future business and did not charge extra for the work. It was still the most expensive CAR glass I have ever paid for with owning close to about 200 vehicle in my life at 450 installed. Now I need to get to work and cut some 2% tint for my eyebrow :laugh:

Attachments

#25 ·
I truly do not consider health and safety issues to be minor or trivial. ALL the windshields *I* had replaced were dangerous at night, and especially when it was night and raining.
My wife doesn't ride in my truck, so I haven't changed that one, but I really should. There is a top to bottom crack on the driver's side. I am sure I will get around to it, but not just yet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.