1W to LCD H
1B to LCD A
1R to LCD B

Change 06~09 LCD and 06~09 radio INFO for Journey computer

Journey computer

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: 04~05 MAZDA3 Change 06~09 LCD for Journey computer

huh... what month and year was your 3 made in? I see you have a GT trim which was only available with hatchbacks I believe.
Do you know if this works on any '04, '05 mz3's? I have an '05 S Sedan.

I would love some more info before I try this.

#14 ·
[quote author=tonyzoomzoom link=topic=194932.msg4109396#msg4109396 date=1315881284]
just curious. Do you know if those other members in Taiwan who also have done this conversion, do they all have the auto A/C climate control?
[/quote]

Manual and automatic to all have

#20 ·
Hello,

Does any one know if need to buy the 06-09 Radio or only the display is enough ?
I have a Mazda3 2005 my Radio have the Info Button.

Please can anyone help me because my Eonon Radio will be arrive this week and I have buy 06-09 LCD to try.
But as I told dont know if 06-09 Radio is also needed.

Thanks a lot

#21 ·
I'm also looking to do this to my 05.
But I'm thinking of taking it one step further- technically, could one buy an 07 model stereo and replace the entire head unit as well? I ask because then would I also get the aux out capability built in? Trip computer + aux input seems like a pretty good deal to me, while still being stock.

#23 ·
Probably cause no one has done it. This was originally done in tandem with an Eonon D5151 installation, so we know that works. Don't believe anyone has tried this with an OEM stereo.

If you're located within driving distance of New Orleans, I'd loan you the 07 OEM stereo I have on the shelf before you spend money on your own, but I'm hanging into it just in case I go back to stock or my D5151 craps out on me.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

#24 ·
Thanks for the honest response, Phil.
Unfortunately, I'm a little too far from New Orleans (New York), but I very much appreciate the gesture.

Maybe I should just got with a D5151, that's what got this whole thing started in the first place. But I keep having reservations about heading away from stock to something that feels cheap.

#25 ·
Thanks for the honest response, Phil.
Unfortunately, I'm a little too far from New Orleans (New York), but I very much appreciate the gesture.

Maybe I should just got with a D5151, that's what got this whole thing started in the first place. But I keep having reservations about heading away from stock to something that feels cheap.
I won't lie, the D5151 has it's issues. It's not a Kenwood or a Pioneer, and expecting that level of quality for half the price isn't fair to the unit itself or it's manufacturer. It's a budget unit with an absolute ton of features you can't touch at that price point. If you're willing to do some of the legwork yourself (wiring in the newer LCD screen, dealing with extra wiring for Bose for example) it can be a really nice unit for the price. If you have the budget, and want a better quality product, be prepared to spend a lot more money.

I can't speak for eveyrone else, but I use the Hell out of my deck (and car). I spend a minimum of two hours a day commuting for work, listening to my D5151 and using it's iPod interface. I also use the Bluetooth for hands free calling whenever I'm driving, and have used to GPS NAV on occasion when I'm looking for a place I haven't been before. Does it all work? Damn straight it does. Is it perfect? Not really.

1. The interface for the iPod could be better. It isn't the worst I've ever seen, but not the best either. It's plenty usable, but can't compare to a unit costing twice as much.

2. Is the handsfree calling perfect? Not hardly. My voice gets drowned out by road noise at times, the microphone is on the unit's face (and I wish it was divorced so I could put it closer to my head), and you have to speak fairly clearly to be heard. It works, but I have my gripes about it. Also, it is really grouchy with iPhone5's (with their new Bluetooth version.) It has NEVER imported my full contact list, but I can't hang that on Eonon since every other manufacturer and OEM seams to have the same issue with the newer iPhones.

3. GPS NAV - I wasn't fond of the supplied software (Kudos), so I replaced mine with iGo Primo 2.4. I have experienced, as many of us have, some instabilities and crashing with iGo. It works 95% of the time, and that other 5% I keep a paperclip in my center console to reset the deck if it swallows it's tongue. I never had issues with Kudos, just didn't like the interface as much. Kudos seamed more stable though (which makes sense as that's what Eonon supplied their deck with and tested.)

All the above, for $240-$250, I'd buy it again. You simply can not get these features at this price point, keep the LCD screen (in the 06 and up, or the earlier cars with the newer screen wired in), interface with the CAN BUS, and keep the steering wheel controls (without an extra module wired in for the name brands). The unit has it's issues, but a lot of us are happy with the end result. It's your call either way. Again, if you were closer, I'd show you in person to help you make that decision.

#28 ·
As far as the gap, I used the "stack of nickels trick" and the gap is gone (stack of nickels between the bottom of the unit and the shelf it sits above).

The boot time isn't that bad. It's about as long as it takes me to buckle up, check my mirrors, and start backing up. It seams like a while when you just sit there and state at it, but when you think about your normal routine getting in a car, you kill about that much time before you get moving.

I completely understand the hesitation. Back when I had my 2004, and the D5151's predecessor (5102) was around, I passed on it. Back then, it was a much slower unit, early models were buggy from what I heard, and you lost the LCD screen no matter what. When I got my 07, it was days before the D5151's initial group buy was closing, so I was one of the earlier adopters. I took the plunge, and was happy.

In my 04, I'm pretty sure I put in a Grom (no bluetooth, just straight iPod) and was happy with it. I feel like I get more out of the D5151, but that's a personal choice. If I can offer any other information to help you make a decision you're comfortable with, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

#31 ·
As far as the gap, I used the "stack of nickels trick" and the gap is gone (stack of nickels between the bottom of the unit and the shelf it sits above).
I've heard of this. Are there any links with pictures to describe the problem?

The boot time isn't that bad. It's about as long as it takes me to buckle up, check my mirrors, and start backing up. It seams like a while when you just sit there and state at it, but when you think about your normal routine getting in a car, you kill about that much time before you get moving.
I guess. Watching the video reviews of it felt like a maddeningly long amount of time for it to start up. When you cut the engine temporarily without taking the key out (to fill up with gas, etc), does it need to boot back up when you start the car again? That's something that annoyed me with the bluetooth Sony unit- Everytime I stopped the car temporarily (wait for someone, gas, etc) I had to reinitialize my phone's connection to continue the music streaming. Its not a deal breaker, but it sure can be annoying if I have to wait through that each time!

In my 04, I'm pretty sure I put in a Grom (no bluetooth, just straight iPod) and was happy with it. I feel like I get more out of the D5151, but that's a personal choice. If I can offer any other information to help you make a decision you're comfortable with, just let me know. .
Hmm- yeah, Grom's other adapters don't have the complaints about them that the bluetooth ones do. They seem to be a mixed bag, some good some bad reviews. The Bluetooth specifically with Mazdas, seems to have only bad from what I've tried to look up. ::shrug:: Would love to be wrong about that.

*sigh* Going to have to think this one through a little bit more. Thanks for all your help!

#32 · (Edited)
Ok- I revisited this thread because something didn't make sense here.

The original OP and posters that followed where NOT installing an EONON unit. It looks like the original OP wanted to get the trip computer info working, so he bought the newer LCD and figured out how to splice it in. What he spliced it into, I'm not sure I understand.

I'm staring at the diagrams there, and I'll be honest- I'm ok with soldering myself, but it is very hard to me to understand what wires are coming from where and going where. The stock LCD on an 05 plugs into the stereo head unit, so where are these additional wires coming from??

But it appears that he got the trip computer working on the 05 model, and it is implied that all you need is the LCD. However since he wanted to cycle through modes he needed a stereo with the INFO button. Which means he replaced the stereo as well (see picture in first post with trip computer- stereo clearly has button marked "info"). SO that means he was able to install a new LCD and new head unit in his older car. Which is what I was asking to do (in this situation, technically, the stereo now supports an aux in and a wire can be fished through the car into it). But then just when I think I'm starting to understand, my confusion goes even further- with the tricks in this thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=265689&page=58 you can make the SET button on non-trip enabled stereos act like the INFO button by "unlocking" it with those steering wheel button shortcuts. So then, does the stereo need to be updated, or can just a new LCD be retrofitted to work on my 05 stock head unit? And the "SET" button unlocked to cycle the trip computer via the methods in that thread?

To make matters more confusing- What gets "unlocked", the electronics inside the LCD? Because folks in the EONON thread said they were able to cycle through modes on the trip computer / clock by using steering wheel button shortcuts, but only if the trip computer was "unlocked" first. That implies something persistent in the LCD, with folks saying they should "unlock" it before removing the old stereo unit. So... if I buy a used LCD and wire it up to my car, will be "unlocked" depending on what car it came from? In other words, if the stereo it was attached to originally had an "info" button, I'd already be good to go?

And if I were to go with an EONON unit, and the LCD were not "unlocked" for trip information, etc, would I be unable to do it with the Eonon or my 05 stock stereo, in which case I'll need a more recent stereo AND display to unlock it first, then install an EONON?

::head explodes::

EDIT: I just discovered this:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?p=9007041#post9007041

Philrab, I can't believe no one suggested this! Its perfect for someone in my situation!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.