Mazda3 Forums banner

Mazda FL-22 Coolant Information

88K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  theblooms 
#1 ·
I've been trying to find evidence that relates the Mazda FL-22 coolant to Ford's Motorcraft fluids. And succeeded recently, so I compiled the information and share it with the board.

FL-22 is only available at Mazda dealers, and is only available in 55/45 diluted version. (Part number is 0000-77-508E-20). Mazda labeled it as "extended life". The regular green is labeled as "long life" (confusing, isn't it?), part number is 0000-77-501E-02, and is available only in concentrate.

FL-22, as in diluted version, is identical to Motorcraft Specialty Green, Ford part number VC-10-A.
The concentrated version was introduced later by Ford, part number is VC-10-A2.

Evidence is in Ford communication to dealers, see page 1 of the attachment. Page 2 is additional document.

Now we have a cost-effective coolant to FL-22 (Ford has lower price), and more importantly, we have a choice of diluted and pure.

Attachments

#2 ·
Nice sleuthing skills, that's very useful. I personally opted to flush all my fluid out and replace it with PEAK extended life because I didn't want to be chained to the dealer for their costly FL-22... but this is probably a better solution for most owners. Thanks :)

#3 ·
Thanks. The premixed version (VC-10-A) costs little over $15, and concentrated is below $22. These are today's quote from a Ford dealer. Mazda dealers charge ~$23 for the premixed (aka FL-22). I like to use the concentrated to do a complete exchange with distilled water.

I also tracked down the automatic transmission fluid, the Mazda M-V or M5, it turned out Ford has the identical fluid since Ford shares a 5-speed ATX with Mazda on Fusion, part number is XT-9-QMM5, only cheaper. For those who want to DIY ATX fluid exchange, it comes handy.

Enjoy.

#5 ·
[quote author=colnago1331 link=topic=173495.msg3673938#msg3673938 date=1274907533]
How much is the Ford coolant? A local Mazda dealer carries the FL-22 for ~$11.50/jug.
[/quote]

Wow, the dealer in my area (upstate NY) charges twice as much for FL22. Ford asks for about $15. Where do you live? Are you sure that's the price for FL22?

#7 ·
http://ricartmazdaparts.com/

Put "0000-77-508E-20" in the box under "Search by Part Number or Keyword" and select Mazda from the drop-down menu. They're local to me so I buy it online and then go pick it up to save the shipping charge. And it's definitely FL-22 as there are three jugs in my garage for when I was going to do my RX-8.

#11 ·
fl-22 is just a more expensive longer lasting type of coolant. Lasts 10 years or 100,000 miles. They started filling 2007 and up mazda 3's with the FL-22 coolant. 2004-2006 have regular coolant, which lasts 2 years or 30,000 miles.

I have a 2007 and I drained all my fl-22 and have been running straight up distilled water in the summers and regular coolant at a 65:35 coolant to water ratio in the winter, no issues using it.

So no, it won't make fl-22

#12 ·
ok, i have a 09 sport hatch, did a complete flush today with the concentrate (p/n 0000-77-501E-02). wondering if thats ok since i had a fl-22 sticker on my reservoir.

note; the way i flushed it out was by just draining the coolant in the radiator, filled it up with distilled water, ran it till everything was well mixed, drained it and did this 3 times till it was running clear and filled it up with 1 gallon of the concentrate. so im running about 50/50 mix right now.

#13 ·
The Mazda premix is 55% coolant, as opposed to the usual 50%. My dealer's parts department told me they have a policy to match online prices from other Mazda dealers. So, if you can find it online for less maybe your local dealership will do the same.

#17 · (Edited)
Got a gallon of the Motorcraft specialty coolant last week. Still looking for time to flush system and add new.

Since I am stalling, I will go ahead and buy new hoses and thermostat housing.

* * * Off subject * * *

Any opinions on t-stat housings?
Stant at Pep Boys is roughly $40, but I recall liking the way the gasket fit in the housing and seemed to have a "profile" of an o-ring as the Beck Arnley I found for $26 had a cheaper looking flat edge gasket and it was starting to twist, making a possible failure if not straightened out before installing. (the B-A was made in Israel. Can't remember where Stant's version was made.) Back to Pep-boys for a closer look and maybe a stop at O'reilly's to look at the Murray version . . . Mazda wants $70 for theirs, so after market of some sort it will be!

#21 ·
Well, ok. FL22 has no 2EHA which is plasticizer and used in most of antifreezes.
Plasticizer - a substance (typically a solvent) added to a synthetic resin to produce or promote plasticity and flexibility and to reduce brittleness.
With manufacturers using silicone gaskets now, they strongly recommend to use these new antifreeze.
This is why on Mazda coolant reservoir you see FL22 printed in plastic. So, you don't put anything else and don't damage your engine.
I was watching a video on youtube - a guy replacing coolant in his Mazda3. "...I just bought these 2 Prestone coolant jags. Look how nice and light this fresh antifreeze looks. the old one is so dark..." And I think... dummy. It should be dark.

#22 ·
Don't get your panties in a bunch. The reality is that it doesn't matter if you use FL-22 or not. Ford didn't use FL-22 in their vehicles that have the 2.0/2.3, they specified Motorcraft Gold antifreeze which is an HOAT coolant similar to Dexcool. Ford's current antifreeze is Motorcraft Orange which is an OAT just like Dexcool.

Also, why did you resurrect a thread that is over a year old to tell someone they used the wrong product? A little late isn't it?

#24 · (Edited)
According to Mazda parts counter (Dan at Ourisman Mazda in MD) any Speed3 produced *after* December 17, 2007 uses FL-22. Before that it *does *not use FL22. AllData contradicts this, and states I need FL-22.

AllData isnt incorrect but there is a caveat. As per the TSB 01-033/07, you CAN use FL-22 on older Speed3 but dont mix it with orange coolant because it will turn black.

Dan sent me this Mazda Fluids Chart updated March 16 2019 is as follows:

Pentonsin PENTOFROST A2 (GREEN) Antifreeze Specially Formulated For Asian Vehicles — CONCENTRATE- HOAT technology but does not have FL-22 according to the rep I spoke to at PENTOSIN but it does cross reference with Mazda 0000-77-501E-02.

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_A2.pdf

Pentofrost A3 (BLUE) does have FL-22, according to the same guy at Pentosin but is only available in 50/50 mix but does NOT cross reference with Mazda 0000-77-501E-02 (confusing).

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_A3.pdf

I had little trust in the expertise of the guy at Pentosin...he knew nothing about what FL-22 specs included, only that MAZDA had no cut off date for the need to use FL-22 or not. He was wrong about the cut off date.

Pentofrost A1 (RED) is FOR ASIAN vehicles, CONCENTRATED, HOAT technology but isnt listed for MAZDA.

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_A1.pdf

An inexpensive FL-22 coolant CONCENTRATE is RAVENOL J4D2092 Coolant Antifreeze - HJC Hybrid Japanese Coolant Protect FL22 Concentrate (5 Liter. $27 on Amazon.

#26 ·
I had to replace my radiator last year. I used the good old plane Jane green Ethylene Glycol as a replacement. It's worked fine for the last 100+ years in cars, and still works fine today.

The new stuff is just rated to last longer, and that's about the only difference. Instead of changing your coolant every 5 years (OH THE HUMANITY!), you can make it last 10 years. Big whoop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.