Mazda3 Forums banner

Blowing MAF fuse

13K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Bigbenmazda5 
#1 ·
Well I blew the fuse to the (MAF #35 ENG BAR 1- 10A- Air Flow Sensor). This makes the 3rd time in the last couple months. It happened after going over a rough patch in the road. This is not fun and very dangerous as when this 10 amp fuse blows the car goes limp and barely idles with no throttle at all. I was lucky to get out of traffic this time. This is the second time a rough patch has caused this. The other was from some wheel hop on a slick road. Ive checked all the connection at the maf and can not trigger the fuse to blow so I don't think it is at this point.

Ive got the hood up letting it cool off and it looks like I will start pulling stuff out looking for a bad connection or crush or crimp some place this evening.

If anyone has a suggestion feel free.

#3 ·
I've had to replace the fuse each time it has popped so It has to be a short some place. I cant imagine where though. Perhaps when i had the transmission replaced the shop the screwed up wires some place as I never had this happen until after the trans swap.

#8 ·
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=64637.msg1108599#msg1108599 date=1166147757]
Hey Brian, I will sned you a picture of where to look. This ahappened to me many times and it was awire that was rubbing against a sharp edge. :?
[/quote]

thanks a lot Juan I really appreciate it.

#9 ·
[quote author=Brian805 link=topic=64637.msg1108649#msg1108649 date=1166152210]
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=64637.msg1108599#msg1108599 date=1166147757]
Hey Brian, I will sned you a picture of where to look. This ahappened to me many times and it was awire that was rubbing against a sharp edge. :?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am working on a car so that will make it easier to take the picture. I am pretty sure that it is the same wire that was shorting mine. The CEL will come on and the engine will hardly run like 300 RPMs

#24 ·
[/quote]

I am working on a car so that will make it easier to take the picture. I am pretty sure that it is the same wire that was shorting mine. The CEL will come on and the engine will hardly run like 300 RPMs[/QUOTE]

Hi Juan;
My car seems to have the same problem, Can you email me that picture Juan, or just give me an idea where to look, since it appears to be maf related and engine light on.

#10 ·
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=64637.msg1108658#msg1108658 date=1166152424]
[/quote]

had the same problem,
could you also send me the pics please

[/quote]

I am working on a car so that will make it easier to take the picture. I am pretty sure that it is the same wire that was shorting mine. The CEL will come on and the engine will hardly run like 300 RPMs
[/quote]

#14 ·
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=64637.msg1112016#msg1112016 date=1166499972]
Brian,

I have e mailed two pictures. Please post them if you want.
[/quote]

Yes thank you Juan.

As a matter of fact the smallest bit of insulation has rubbed from one of these wires on my car as well.. perhaps a mill in length. It is right up against a piece of metal. I will try and replicate the short tomorrow just to make sure.

#15 ·
Good news.. this is definitely why the MAF fuse has be blowing. It would however only blow when the car was running.

Thanks again Juan.

I went a step beyond just taping up the wire here. I also took my dremel to the the area which was rubbing the insulation and ground the edge off. As you can see by the photo the area where the bolt goes into that mount was already rounded on one side. For some reason Mazda decided not to round the whole thing. I also put electric tape then duct tape over a few areas just for good measure.

The design of this spot seems rather hazardous to me. The wire created a huge spark when it ground where it had rubbed through. And I believe this is line is carrying fuel.

Another thing.. when you take that connection apart be careful as the clip breaks easy :?

#22 ·
I am glad that this was the same as my car. Sometimes it can be a nightmare looking for a shorted wire. In fact, when I was tracking mine, I spent like 4 hours checking the whole wiring. This will not happen to stock cars since we have to remove the support bracket to clear the new intake pipe when going turbo. Now I use a tie wrap to hold the pipe and make sure that it does not run against a sharp edge.

#23 ·
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=64637.msg1114506#msg1114506 date=1166639081]
I am glad that this was the same as my car. Sometimes it can be a nightmare looking for a shorted wire. In fact, when I was tracking mine, I spent like 4 hours checking the whole wiring. This will not happen to stock cars since we have to remove the support bracket to clear the new intake pipe when going turbo. Now I use a tie wrap to hold the pipe and make sure that it does not run against a sharp edge.
[/quote]

Yes the exposed wire was very hard to see. I had a light shining right on it but still had to be just inches away to see the wire. There is no exaggeration when I say it was only a few hairs size sliver of insulation missing.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.