Mazda3 Forums banner

Installing Cruise on non-equiped model.. Info/pics/procedure here (56K Death).

305K views 281 replies 138 participants last post by  rotagyllaw73 
#1 ·
Introduction

My biggest regret after taking delivery of my 2006 Mazda 3 Sport GS (Canada) was the lack of cruise control. I simply could not afford the 1500$ premium for the GT model. I originally thought I could later add an aftermarket cruise control until I realized the Mazda 3 featured a "Throttle-by-wire" system. Therefore the 'cruise control' is mostly operated by software (ECU).

I am not aware of any aftermarket system readily available for 'throttle-by-wire' applications, although in theory it would be very simple: the aftermarket module would simply need to monitor few sensors and then intercept and modify the signal going from the throttle pedal position sensor to the ECU when in 'cruise' condition. No mechanical parts would be required.

My Mazda dealer told me it was not possible to add the factory cruise control on a non-equipped model. However, upon additional research, I found few guys on http://www.mazda3quebec.com/ that had their local dealership successfully add the factory cruise control. According to those reports, the software and cables are all in place already. The only things required are:

• The module with the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel (comes attached to the module with the radio buttons on the same wires/connector);
    A "cruise control" compatible brake 'stoplight switch'.

Those users had the system installed at the dealership for around $300-$350. Parts alone can be found new at discounted price online for about $125 and the installation seems quite easy. I went one step further and actually found a complete used steering wheel with cruise controls for $35+$10 shipping. At that price, it was worth the try! Total investment for me, including the new stoplight switch: about $50.

I can now confirm that the information was accurate: I successfully added the factory cruise on my 2006 Hatchback (Canadian Model). The installation was really quick and easy. Find all the information required and installation procedure below.

Confirmed success (compatibility):

• 2006 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback GS (Canadian Model) <- MINE
    04-05 Mazda 3 Sedan and Hatchback (Canadian Models) <- www.mazda3quebec.com
       (PM me if you have additional compatibility reports for me)

[glow=red,2,300]Disclaimer[/glow]

I do not have the credentials to offer automotive advice.  The modification procedure that follows explains how I chose to approach a modification I wanted to make to my personal car.  I am not suggesting that anyone else make this modification to his or her vehicle.  In the event anyone chooses to accept the responsibility of initiating a similar vehicle modification, they should do so with the understanding it could result in undesired damage to their vehicle and could void the warrantee provided by the vehicle manufacturer.  In addition, I wish to point out that undertaking any vehicle modification without proper knowledge, experience, tools, and safety equipment can result in personal injury and/or death.  This is especially true here, where the Airbag module on the driver side has to be temporarily removed in order to install some of the parts. I highly recommend that you have a dealership or competent garage install the parts.

Also, I don’t claim to be the originator of this modification. The following is a summary of the information required to perform the modification. The idea is to have the convenience of having all the required information located in one place. The original information was found on http://www.mazda3quebec.com/ and http://www.mazda3forums.com/ .  This procedure is a combination of those indications, helpful hints and pictures resulting from my own personal experience. Special thanks to 'charlano' on http://www.mazda3quebec.com/ for answering all my questions...

Parts Required:

• BN7N-66-490 Brake switch for vehicles with cruise ~$6
    BN8P-66-4M0 Steering switches for vehicles with cruise ~$119

Where to buy the parts:

- used: http://www.car-part.com ($40 to $100?, mostly interesting for the cruise steering switches)
- New:

Tools Required:

• Small flat hear screwdriver
    Phillips screwdriver
    10mm socket (battery, airbag)
    13/16" socket to remove the steering wheel

Time Required:

• 20-30 minutes

Procedure

1. Orient the steering wheel so that the wheels of the vehicle are positioned to move in straight line.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the car Battery using a 10mm socket;

3. Open the headlight switch and pump the brake pedal a few times to help drain any power left in the circuit.

4. Wait enough to make sure that any capacitive load in the electrical circuit had some time to be drained out before removing the airbag (2-3 hours? maybe not necessary, but why take a chance??)  Use that time to swap the brake switch:

5. Brake Switch Replacement

a. Locate the switch right above the brake pedal as shown.
     b. Disconnect the electrical connector by pressing on the release tab;
     c. To remove the switch, twist it like an 1/8 of a turn as shown, then pull it out;

d. Apply reverse procedure to install the new switch.

6. Airbag Removal (Please read disclaimer above!!! Again, I higly recomment you have a dealership or a competent garage do the part of the install involving the airbag. Improper handling or a static discharge could set it off resulting in expensive damage, injury or even death. I do not pretend that the procedure explained here is adequate or complete to remove & re-install the airbag.):

a. Remove the 2 rubber plugs on each side of the steering wheel body, as shown below;

b. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts holding the airbag in place;
     c. Pull the airbag assembly out carefully;
     d. Disconnect the electrical connectors of the airbag assembly: there are 2 connectors to disconnect. Pull the black locking tab using a small flathead screwdriver then pull the connector as shown;

e. Safely store away (face up) the airbag until you ready for re-assembly.

7. Steering Wheel Removal
     a. Disconnect the wires of the steering switches;
     b. Using a 13/16" socket, remove the bolt clamping the steering wheel;
     c. Once the bolt removed, the steering wheel should pull out easily (I did not need a puller).

8. To replace the switch panels, you need to remove the back cover of the steering wheel. 2 screws must be removed from the back, then release the 2 tabs from the front side.

9. Remove the old switch panels on either sides of the steering wheel and replace them with the new switch modules. They are held by a screw from the back side of the steering wheel. Pay attention to how the wires are routed and use the same approach for the new switches.

10. Carefully re-assemble everything using reverse procedure, re-connect the battery and go for a test drive to verify that everything is working properly.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool... great research, and walkthrough... Not a bad little mod for those who didn't get cruise...

Did you also end up getting steering wheel controls for your stereo out of it?

#5 ·
Re: Installing Cruise on non-equiped model.. Info/pics/procedure here (56K Death

good thourough write up.

i have cruise control tho. =)
i had a friend who was doing this in his pickup, and he had a static charge or something and it set off his airbag :shock:

ended up being like 600 dollars to get another one installed

#6 ·
- You have to replace both the radio and cruise control modules at the same time since both sides (modules) are actually one part number (the 2 modules are linked by the wires, going to one common connector as seen in parts picture).

- Thanks for the reminder; edited extra warnings regarding the airbag handling. Please do not attempt unless you are ready to deal with the consequences. Have a competent garage or the dealership deal with this part of the install.

- If you get the cruise buttons from a junkyard, make sure you have the complete wire harness with the connector (make sure they did not simply cut the wires, as I have seen in the past). You don't want to have to splice in wires there...

#7 ·
How is it that you use Cruise control when You drive a manual?? Or so the one pictures would lead me to believe. I always thought you could only have cruise with a fully automatic transmission, or steptronic setup, but it appears as though you have the base standard transmission?? I'm confused is all...

#8 ·
Re: Installing Cruise on non-equiped model.. Info/pics/procedure here (56K Death

Cruise control on a stickshift is no problem. You just get on the freeway, shift up to 5th gear and turn the cruise on. Stepping on the clutch or placing the gearshift in neutral will cancel cruise the same as stepping on the brake would. I use mine all the time. My last car was a '93 Ford Ranger and even it had cruise control with a stickshift.

#9 ·
So that's what I was doing wrong... I was sitting at a stop light in neutral yesterday and hit resume... it didn't even shift into 1st.

Just kidding anyways.. yeah, once you're cruising at freeway speeds, you're pretty much exclusively in 5th gear anyways, with the exception of passing... then when you put the clutch in to downshift for the pass... it cancels the cruise. Finish passing... get back in to fifth... resume.

#13 ·

[quote author=italiancutie136 link=topic=45816.msg703497#msg703497 date=1146843815]
awesome write up! I've been wanting to add cruise control on my base model since I bought the car. Where did you go to find all the parts?
[/quote]

He listed that in the first post under "Where to buy the parts:". ;)

#14 ·

[quote author=icspots link=topic=45816.msg705842#msg705842 date=1146953356]
[quote author=italiancutie136 link=topic=45816.msg703497#msg703497 date=1146843815]
awesome write up! I've been wanting to add cruise control on my base model since I bought the car. Where did you go to find all the parts?
[/quote]

He listed that in the first post under "Where to buy the parts:". ;)
[/quote]

ah.. guess i looked over it the first time through

#16 ·
I've heard several guys say they had the cruise control installed by their dealership, in the Quebec province (Canada). They paid 300-350$ CDN for parts AND labor.

The airbag removal sounds worst than it is.. There is not much to it. I just put extra warnings so that you are aware of the possible consequences... Still, I was not big in my shoes when I did it the 1st time.

#20 ·
I just installed cruise on my non cruise 3i. I however did not remove the air bag i just moved it to the side and removed the 2 screws in the back of the steering wheel then the two screws holding on the radio and cruise switches. Now i must go to the mazda parts shop to pick up the break switch and hopefully everything will work. Everything lights up and when you press the cruise on it lights up cruise main but it won't hold the speed so i'm thinking the break switch has something to do with that.

#21 ·

Hi M3Bus

I'm considering doing this install as well. However I have a Euro model Mazda3.
Is it possible for you to check whether you have a direct cable connection between your gas pedal and the engine.

My car definately has this cable, so I'm not sure if just installing the steering wheel controls and brake switch will actually work :(

Thanks

#22 ·
I installed the break switch lastnight and everything works perfectly. I also talked to the service tech falcon and he said all mazda 3 cars were capable of having cruise you just need to buy the control and break switch. Overall i paid $45 for the controls $15 for shipping from a junkyard and $8 for the break switch so about $68. Great walk-through by the way!!

#23 ·
I just ran across this thread and man im jumpin like a kid in a candy store. I wanted cruise control so bad when, I bought this car. Just couldnt afford options at the time. Im doing this asap. Awesome write up.

#24 ·
This is beautiful! I really may have to try this, tho messing with the airbag makes me slightly nervous. Great instructions!
How about a sticky?

#25 ·

[quote author=Falcon50Driver link=topic=45816.msg769773#msg769773 date=1150346057]
Hi M3Bus

I'm considering doing this install as well. However I have a Euro model Mazda3.
Is it possible for you to check whether you have a direct cable connection between your gas pedal and the engine.

My car definately has this cable, so I'm not sure if just installing the steering wheel controls and brake switch will actually work  :(

Thanks
[/quote]

Did you try this mod yet.
I also have a European model and I don't know if changing this parts will have any efect on may car.

I went to a local dealership, trying to get the price for this parts and they said that no such parts exists, and that crouze control in mazda 3 does not exists.
I gues I am a little confused now.

Need to do a little more research first.

#26 ·

Did you try this mod yet.
I also have a European model and I don't know if changing this parts will have any efect on may car.

I went to a local dealership, trying to get the price for this parts and they said that no such parts exists, and that crouze control in mazda 3 does not exists.
I gues I am a little confused now.

Need to do a little more research first.
Hello Pirpank

Did a bit of searching and this is what I came up with:

My model (South Africa) does not have "drive by wire". This means that the accelerator is not controlled electronically but by a physical cable connected between the gas pedal and the engine.

Therefore the above modification is NOT possible. Just adding the controls to the steering wheel and adding a brake switch will not work as the controls on the wheel will not be able to access the accelerator.

This is a big difference between my model and all US models.
Apparently the new 2.3l model being released here as well as in Australia will have the "drive by wire" system.

This is a big bummer, but oh well... :?

Hope it clears things up a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.