FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs

FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumindex.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Should I move to Fort Myer florida? (https://www.fmvperformance.com/showthread.php?t=359791)

felixtibs 02-08-2010 12:54 AM

Should I move to Fort Myer florida?

Currently I am in San diego and have a job opportunity there. Financially it makes sense but I am hesitant about South Florida!

1) My girlfriend is black and I am white. some people can be backwards about this.
2) could it be the most humid place ever?

Thats pretty much it!

TEKWATCH 02-08-2010 01:04 AM

Re: Should I move to Fort Myer florida?

[quote author=felixtibs link=topic=166794.msg3535823#msg3535823 date=1265608465]
Currently I am in San diego and have a job opportunity there. Financially it makes sense but I am hesitant about South Florida!

1) My girlfriend is black and I am white. some people can be backwards about this.
2) could it be the most humid place ever?

Thats pretty much it!
[/quote]

Do what your heart tells you to do, if it makes sense, go for it.

1) I would not worry about the race issue anymore, besides if you love her, that is what matters.
2) You live in CA now, Florida is not all that different, you will get use to the heat.

mcg80 02-08-2010 12:02 PM

I wife flies back and forth btw Orlando and Burbank, and there is quite a temperature difference between the two most of the time, especially during fall and winter. She says it's usually much more humid here.

I would not worry about the race issue, you can find backwards people who disapprove anywhere. I don't know about Fort Myer but around O-town it's never been a big deal.

If you are a driving enthusiast, I want to let ya know the quality of some roads on the west coast of Fl, especially around Fort Myer can be quite terrible, that's actually true for a lot of the state. I used to have coilovers and it was just too rattling to drive.

3driverPa 02-08-2010 12:07 PM

If the state wasn't In financial ruins right now I'd be moving my white ass along with my Boricua wifey down to Daytona right now.  I don't know about the people in Cali. but i do know about Southern hospitality, everyone is everyone's friend down there.  Its a state of strangers so everyone gets along. And getting waves and smiles from every random stranger you see down there is a normal occurrence.

felixtibs 02-08-2010 05:08 PM

well thats good. san diego is the shit but fucking breaking my wallet!

shwelan 02-08-2010 05:49 PM

move if you really need to. but cali is cali....and your talking about Florida....i will never live there. especially after i stayed with my grandparents in a gated community for a few days. i rarely ever see gated communites in cali but they are quite terrifying. thats not all of florida but it just seems very boring. Orlando is pretty much nothing. Just do what is good for you though, but make sure you do it right

mcg80 02-08-2010 05:53 PM

Yes Florida is quite boring, especially compared to Cali, but I did not want to bring that up. In some parts its a cultural (ie concerts, theater, music, car culture, arts) black hole.

danielj 02-08-2010 05:56 PM

Ft Myers is a nice place to visit.

I was born and raised in Orlando. I like the West Coast mentality much better (no offense to anyone, just a different lifestyle on the West Coast).

I used to vacation 2 weeks every summer in the Ft Myers area. They have some beautiful beaches (Sanibel and Captiva are great) but the population was very mature (lots of retirees). Not sure how much it's changed. You're also a bit isolated. If you crave urban activities you'll have to head over to Miami or up to Tampa.

shwelan 02-08-2010 05:57 PM

[quote author=mcg80 link=topic=166794.msg3537206#msg3537206 date=1265669632]
Yes Florida is quite boring, especially compared to Cali, but I did not want to bring that up. In some parts its a cultural (ie concerts, theater, music, car culture, arts) black hole.
[/quote]

yeah...thats a much better way of putting it. and i dont mean to shit on florida's face, i just observed that it seems to be a place where older people settle in to a nice relaxing, slow moving community that doesnt have a lot to do...or worry about which is a plus for whom it appeals to

felixtibs 02-08-2010 09:18 PM

yeah, kinda what I figured. i just dont want to get dirty looks! Maybe I should ask for more money! How far do you figure 100K combined income will go there if we are renting?