FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs

FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumindex.php)
-   Photography (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumdisplay.php?f=638)
-   -   POLL: 3rd Party Lenses (https://www.fmvperformance.com/showthread.php?t=337945)

DrNick 05-10-2009 06:06 PM

POLL: 3rd Party Lenses

This is just an ongoing debate that I've seen elsewhere and I'd like to see the forums' opinions on this.

What do you think about lenses made by third-party companies, such as Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc.?  Some people swear by Nikon/Canon/Pentax/etc. lenses and think that buying anything else is a sin.  Others believe that third-party lenses offer comparable (or even better) performance and quality, sometimes at a fraction of the price.

I am personally indifferent.  My Nikon lenses have been very good to me, even though the ones I have (18-55/55-200 AF-S DX, and 50/1.8 AF-D) are considered entry-level.  My one third-party lens, a Tokina 12-24/4, has been holding up and performing just as well.

Let's see your opinions on this.

azazel1024 05-11-2009 09:11 AM

Re: POLL: 3rd Party Lenses

The VALUE of a number of 3rd party lenses is better. IE price versus performance. Of course even the value of some manufacturers lenses is better then 3rd party despite the higher cost.

In a handful of cases the 3rd party lens actually performs better, but this is relatively rare. In a lot of cases the performance difference is small enough to be negligable unless you pixel peep or print at 18x24.

In a few cases a 3rd party makes a lens that no one else makes in that mount. I realize its an old example, but Sigma made a 70-210mm f/2.8, 28-70mm f/2.8 and 28mm f/1.8 in Olympus OM mount...well Zuiko (Olympus lens brand) never made a fast 70-210, their closest simaliar to the 28-70/2.8 was the Zuiko 35-80/2.8, which was ridiclously pricey and ridiculously sharp, and the fastest wide angle they made was an f/2 lens.
-Matt

mz3szoomzoom 05-13-2009 01:41 PM

Some third parties do an excellent job, but mostly the issue is reverse engineered connectors to the camera, that if not properly built can cause damage to the body electronics, so there are ups and down, but I prefer to stick with the first line of lenses.

chaos 05-14-2009 01:27 AM

I much prefer my Pentax lenses over my Tamron 70-300. I guess the Tamron feels a little cheaper to me, even though it does take great pictures for what it is. I also just purchased a Zenitar fisheye, and it does feel nice, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet--so can't judge there. But overall, despite my limited third party experience, I'd say I prefer Pentax lenses.