FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs

FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumindex.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.fmvperformance.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Buying a car in germany (https://www.fmvperformance.com/showthread.php?t=227359)

SpeedoLover 09-03-2005 02:12 PM

Buying a car in germany

Well im selling my 3. I will have untill the 14th. Its sad but i think its the best idea since it would just be sittin in my driveway for 4 years losing reasle value. The sweet thing is, is that im planning on buyin me a bimmer in germany. Now i would like to know some info on buying cars in europe. How much do bmws run in germany? Are they significantly cheaper then in the states? Im lookin for like a '00 m3. Would being an american soldier make it easier or more dificult dealing with a german salesman. How can i expect to be treated? This will be the first time i buy a car with out the help of my parents and ill be buying it in cash with my own money, so all help and opinions would be appreciated!

mz3szoomzoom 09-03-2005 02:31 PM

Re: Buying a car in germany

Expected to be treated like a pain in the ass, and expect to pay a lot to the DOT. It wont cost you anything to have it shipped back being a soldier, but BMWs are fairly inexpensive in Germany since they are like ford over here... In any case you'll want to contact customs and the DOT about fees and what not for importing it...depending on the car..it might not be any cheaper...

AssHam 09-03-2005 06:09 PM

You can't bring Euro spec cars to the States unless you spend the 5-8 G's to modify it, or unless it's a "classic" (at least 25 years old). Cars are bought and sold very often over there due to people PCS'ing in and out all the time. Chances are if you buy a used car from an American GI, you are like the 15th owner. You can find used BM's in price ranges of anywhere from 300 bones to upwards of 20G's. My buddy got a 99 5-series, don't know how many km's, 4 owners, for about 5 grand. My other buddy got an old 79, don't know what model, for 500 bucks. Most likely you will be buying a car from another American on one of the base's "Lemon Lots". 99% of the people use Kelley Blue Book prices when they sell their cars so check www.kbb.com for prices. A few German nationals sell their cars to Americans, but dealerships are hard to deal with if you don't speak German. Also, the registration and title transfer processes are different for German nationals and American GIs. For this reason, many dealerships (off base) and German nationals will not even bother trying to sell to an American.

I know this stuff because I just got back to the States not too long ago after spending 3 years living in Germany.

p.s. I know this will probably start an opinion flame war, but BM's suck. They break down all the time and have major electronic and powertrain issues. Living in Germany will provide you the opportunity of seeing cars you will hardly ever see in the States (Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Peugeot, Citreon, Renault, Lotus etc.). Don't get sucked into the "I'll be in Germany so I'll get a BMW" mindset. They're waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, my friend. By the time you leave Germany, you're opinion of them will change guaranteed. I am getting used to hearing "ordinary" people <gasp!!!> when I say "I hate BMWs...they're crap, boring, and overrated". A 2000 M3 will be an expensive "investment" to drive around for a couple years while you're there only to sell it when you leave. Obviously, it will be even worse if you shell out the dough to modify it so you can bring it back.

I have said all this assuming that you will be living in Germany and not just going there to buy a car and then coming back to the US??? :dunno:

FrostyFire 09-03-2005 08:21 PM

SpeedoLover 09-03-2005 11:20 PM

What all has to be done to a car to bring it to us specs? Is there anyway to avoid this? I would love to have a rhd car here.

ViperKillerWannabe 09-03-2005 11:25 PM

[quote author=SpeedoLover link=topic=28582.msg394229#msg394229 date=1125800410]
What all has to be done to a car to bring it to us specs? Is there anyway to avoid this? I would love to have a rhd car here.
[/quote]

First of all, they drive on the right side like us in Germany, so it will still be LHD. Secondly, you can import an E-spec car here, but don't expect to be able to drive it on the street, ever. There are a few very rare stories of people getting their imported cars licensed, but it's not well known how they did it.

mz3szoomzoom 09-03-2005 11:50 PM

You can bring and Espec car here but it has to meet all the DOT sepcs..which means all the emissions have to be brought up to standards...its a big pain..unless like menitoned above its a classics..classics are exempt by a grandfather type rule. In any case..youre probably better off buying one in the states sorry..there is no way to get a cheap BMW really.

And yes Germany is left hand drive just like us..only countries with RHD are basically England Japan and India...few other small places but most everywhere is LHD..

dshahs420 09-04-2005 12:20 AM

And yes Germany is left hand drive just like us..only countries with RHD are basically England Japan and India...few other small places but most everywhere is LHD..

Most places are RHD, Africa, Russia, most of Europe and Asia too are RHD. It is almost impossible to bring a car into America from overseas, you would end up spending more than 20,000 dollars to meet the DOT requirements.

FrostyFire 09-04-2005 12:50 AM

[quote author=MZ3sZoomZoom link=topic=28582.msg394249#msg394249 date=1125802259]
You can bring and Espec car here but it has to meet all the DOT sepcs..which means all the emissions have to be brought up to standards...its a big pain..unless like menitoned above its a classics..classics are exempt by a grandfather type rule. In any case..youre probably better off buying one in the states sorry..there is no way to get a cheap BMW really.

[/quote]

Don't forget Africa and Australia :wink: .

jdesclafani 09-04-2005 01:15 AM

is it me or does no one understand wat hes saying....hes buying the BMW to keep in germany cuz hes moving tthere i dunt think hes gonna need to bring it back he said he was staying there for 4 years....