Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) Alternatives - FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shipo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Devlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) Alternatives

After too many hours spent trying to track down alternatives for ATF M-V (Type M5) I figured I would share the results. Especially as many shops don't even understand the difference. I am currently fighting charges for the wrong fluid (Valvoline MaxLife ATF, a low viscosity ATF) a local goodyear put in my car. In my search I actually managed to find a product sheet on the OEM fluid as well as the true replacements for it.

Mazda OEM ATF M-V (Type M5) | $15/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19YESrbTWoGo0yc636el4NFP92d9d8Z2-/view?usp=sharing
Beck/Arnley Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (Type M5 for Mazda Vehicles) | $12.50/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lInmZAeuqkJdFU_xbUoU45ESjiCpcPvN/view?usp=sharing
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF | $10/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amFMhHfkE_eHa91vAmLJxoue7Nm1k-J_/view?usp=sharing
Pennzoil High Mileage Synthetic ATF | $7.50/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBeN9LIM41TcRh10rQ1EchNiGFlCb6eB/view?usp=sharing
Pennzoil Dex/Merc ATF | $5/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mzg1eJ60coIOez6AD_EF5Kyq_Msr-bBO/view?usp=sharing
Supertech High Mileage ATF | $3.50/Quart
Code:
There are no data sheets available for Supertech's High Mileage ATF but after hours on the phone I have confirmed that it is blended by Pennzoil for Walmart and has the same viscosity ratings as their Dex/Merc ATF and High Mileage Synthetic ATF but itself is not full synthetic.
I am currently using the Supertech High Mileage ATF in my 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L and at $15/gal you just can't go wrong. Also I didn't need to add any additives since it is a high mileage blend and has the necessary additives already. When using Mobil 1 or another high viscosity blend I would definitely add LubeGard.

Last edited by Devlin85; 08-16-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Devlin85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,120
Garage
Keep in mind, the base oil (conventional vs. synthetic) and viscosity are only two metrics for scoring whether any given ATF is appropriate for any given transmission. That said, they are not the most important; the absolute most important metric/property of ATF is CoF (Coefficient of Friction); if the CoF is too slippery, the clutches will slip for too long or not grab at all, this in turn may manifest itself as either smoother shifting or intermittent surging and will accelerate clutch wear. If the CoF is not slippery enough, the clutches can grab too quickly resulting in harsh shifts; this too will accelerate transmission wear.
M3RacerX likes this.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: At the bottom of the California Sierra Mountains
Posts: 772
Send a message via Yahoo to M3RacerX
Good research and taking the time to get the information!

For an automatic transmission I recommend to stay with what is advised specification of fluid (or equivalent) to use by the auto manufacture.

The important thing from my experience is to do a filter and fluid service at or before every 30k miles (even on lifetime no service transmission) or if some feel this is to soon then invest in 28 bucks and send a sample of your ATF to Black Labs to see what is going on in your transmission. Then make an informative decisions based on empirical data how many miles to go between an easy and inexpensive transmission service.


https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Transmission

Transmission and gear oils can be contaminated with metals, solids, and moisture, and those contaminants should be removed before they can damage the system.

Conversely, a test of your ATF, manual transmission fluid, or gear oil may reveal that it's still in great condition, and you don't need to change it as early or as often as you thought.

We can tell you what condition the oil is in, whether it needs to be changed , and whether the unit has any pressing mechanical issues that should be taken care of.

Transmission and gear oil samples can be sent in the same sampling container as engine oil samples, and you can use the same oil slip too. The cost is the same as for engine oil.


M3RacerX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Devlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Keep in mind, the base oil (conventional vs. synthetic) and viscosity are only two metrics for scoring whether any given ATF is appropriate for any given transmission. That said, they are not the most important; the absolute most important metric/property of ATF is CoF (Coefficient of Friction); if the CoF is too slippery, the clutches will slip for too long or not grab at all, this in turn may manifest itself as either smoother shifting or intermittent surging and will accelerate clutch wear. If the CoF is not slippery enough, the clutches can grab too quickly resulting in harsh shifts; this too will accelerate transmission wear.

True, and annoyingly, for some reason they don't seem to share the CoF in their data sheets. But Type M5 closely resembles Dex/Mercon V applications. Even the transmission casings, seals, and solenoids are the same used in Ford vehicles (the focus to be specific, at least with my 2007 model). So all high viscosity fluids that say they are mercon V compatible will most likely work. I have personally used all listed above (except for the Beck/Arnley Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid as it is basically the same price as OEM) with no issues what so ever.

And stay away from MaxLife! lol.

Last edited by Devlin85; 08-16-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Devlin85 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 997
Mazda Type M-V and Mercon V are NOT THE SAME THING.

My local stealership sells Mazda Type M-V for $8/quart. At that price, there is no excuse to use anything else.

Last edited by theblooms; 08-16-2018 at 02:53 PM.
theblooms is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Devlin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
I wasn't saying to use Mercon V as a direct replacement for M-V, although it is OK in some applications. Especially if you have the right ford transmission under your hood. Except for a few select years all 3 series and pretty much all mazdas since the 80's have ford transmissions.

I was just saying that if the MV ATF you are looking at getting is a high viscosity fluid that is also compatible with Mercon V, 99.9% chance it will work just fine. MV ATF that is compatible with Mercon LV or Type F is not compatible with Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) as they have the wrong viscosity and CoF.

But another alternative (if you have a 2002-2014) might be to use is Ford FNR5 ATF (Ford Part Number XT-9-QMM5).

Last edited by Devlin85; 08-17-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Devlin85 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin85 View Post
pretty much all mazdas since the 80's have ford transmissions.
Funny enough, my 93 Ranger had a Mazda transmission!
theblooms is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
madmatt2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin85 View Post
I wasn't saying to use Mercon V as a direct replacement for M-V, although it is OK in some applications. Especially if you have the right ford transmission under your hood. Except for a few select years all 3 series and pretty much all mazdas since the 80's have ford transmissions.

I was just saying that if the MV ATF you are looking at getting is a high viscosity fluid that is also compatible with Mercon V, 99.9% chance it will work just fine. MV ATF that is compatible with Mercon LV or Type F is not compatible with Mazda ATF M-V (Type M5) as they have the wrong viscosity and CoF.

But another alternative (if you have a 2002-2014) might be to use is Ford FNR5 ATF (Ford Part Number XT-9-QMM5).
Oddly enough, we actually sell a fluid that is listed as compatible with Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon LV, and Mazda M-V among other specifications. We haven't had an issue using it BUT I would much rather use a fluid designed for a specific application.

Last edited by madmatt2024; 08-17-2018 at 07:54 PM.
madmatt2024 is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Grand Am Series
 
VWandDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin85 View Post
After too many hours spent trying to track down alternatives for ATF M-V (Type M5) I figured I would share the results. Especially as many shops don't even understand the difference. I am currently fighting charges for the wrong fluid (Valvoline MaxLife ATF, a low viscosity ATF) a local goodyear put in my car. In my search I actually managed to find a product sheet on the OEM fluid as well as the true replacements for it.

Mazda OEM ATF M-V (Type M5) | $15/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19YESrbTWoGo0yc636el4NFP92d9d8Z2-/view?usp=sharing
Beck/Arnley Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (Type M5 for Mazda Vehicles) | $12.50/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lInmZAeuqkJdFU_xbUoU45ESjiCpcPvN/view?usp=sharing
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF | $10/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amFMhHfkE_eHa91vAmLJxoue7Nm1k-J_/view?usp=sharing
Pennzoil High Mileage Synthetic ATF | $7.50/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBeN9LIM41TcRh10rQ1EchNiGFlCb6eB/view?usp=sharing
Pennzoil Dex/Merc ATF | $5/Quart
Code:
Data Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mzg1eJ60coIOez6AD_EF5Kyq_Msr-bBO/view?usp=sharing
Supertech High Mileage ATF | $3.50/Quart
Code:
There are no data sheets available for Supertech's High Mileage ATF but after hours on the phone I have confirmed that it is blended by Pennzoil for Walmart and has the same viscosity ratings as their Dex/Merc ATF and High Mileage Synthetic ATF but itself is not full synthetic.
I am currently using the Supertech High Mileage ATF in my 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L and at $15/gal you just can't go wrong. Also I didn't need to add any additives since it is a high mileage blend and has the necessary additives already. When using Mobil 1 or another high viscosity blend I would definitely add LubeGard.
This is all good information and is yet another example why I always tell people to never take their vehicles to the general "Quick Lube" type places for service. The people who work there most likely don't know jack shit about the specific requirements of a customer's vehicle. A great example is Mopar vehicles that call for ATF 4+ for the transmission. I had to be very explicit with the transmission shop that rebuilt the transmission in my 1997 Dodge pickup because they said they "always put Mercron in them and never have problems". Yeah, you guys should know better. I went so far as to buy enough fluid and take it to them. They did a great job on the rebuild with upgrades I requested, but their actions regarding the fluid didn't go over well.

Anyway, it's important for vehicle owners to follow specs and to pay for quality work & materials. The pennies one saves today will most likely cost many dollars down the road. I always say "Pay once, cry once. Do it right the first time."

2006 Mazda 3 2.3L Hatchback 5-speed Automatic
I never purchase Harbor Freight tools.
VWandDodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs > Misc > Introductions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome