04 Mazda3 2.3L Torque to Yield Bolts? - FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
04 Mazda3 2.3L Torque to Yield Bolts?

Hello Everyone, I am currently in the process of performing a complete rebuilding of my 2.3L for my 04 mazda 3. I got all my parts back from the machine shop and was gonna start the assembly process. My Haynes manual says I have to replace the Main Bearing Cap beam bolts, but it does say anything else like why to replace them? Do they really need to be replaced? are they torque to yield bolts? I am already $1130 into this project for parts and labor and I really don't want to spend money or wait f0r the parts to come in. Any advice would be appreciated.
Amorrow37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Short Track Racer
 
bigboi407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Ouch......... 2.5 swap would have cost MUCH less and been much more rewarding, Bolts which are recommended to be replaced are because they are Torque to yield, and with such an important role in the engine, reusing them after so much $$ invested would be a very bad idea IMHO

Good luck with the 2.3 rebuild, i was initially going to do that, but once i learned about the 2.5 swap, i was totally into it..... im under $1500 invested in the engine bay including a transmission, clutch kit and all required brand new bolts/washers, i think im around $1300 under the hood
bigboi407 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
madmatt2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorrow37 View Post
Hello Everyone, I am currently in the process of performing a complete rebuilding of my 2.3L for my 04 mazda 3. I got all my parts back from the machine shop and was gonna start the assembly process. My Haynes manual says I have to replace the Main Bearing Cap beam bolts, but it does say anything else like why to replace them? Do they really need to be replaced? are they torque to yield bolts? I am already $1130 into this project for parts and labor and I really don't want to spend money or wait f0r the parts to come in. Any advice would be appreciated.
Read the torque procedure for the bolts. If it says something like torque to 70Ft-lb + 90 degrees then its torque to yield.
madmatt2024 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi407 View Post
Ouch......... 2.5 swap would have cost MUCH less and been much more rewarding, Bolts which are recommended to be replaced are because they are Torque to yield, and with such an important role in the engine, reusing them after so much $$ invested would be a very bad idea IMHO

Good luck with the 2.3 rebuild, i was initially going to do that, but once i learned about the 2.5 swap, i was totally into it..... im under $1500 invested in the engine bay including a transmission, clutch kit and all required brand new bolts/washers, i think im around $1300 under the hood

This is my first Mazda 3 I didn't know the 2.5L swap was a thing. What does the engine come out of and how much more power does it produce?
Amorrow37 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt2024 View Post
Read the torque procedure for the bolts. If it says something like torque to 70Ft-lb + 90 degrees then its torque to yield.


It does indeed say 33ft lbs plus 180 degrees. Damn I guess that is one more thing to order. Any idea where I can find a set for a decent price? I didn't see any at rockauto and the local O'rielly can't get them.

Last edited by Amorrow37; 06-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Amorrow37 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Short Track Racer
 
bigboi407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorrow37 View Post
This is my first Mazda 3 I didn't know the 2.5L swap was a thing. What does the engine come out of and how much more power does it produce?
Search the forums for the 2.5 swap thread

the 2.5 comes out of a Variety of vehicles, Mercurys, Lincolns, Fords, newer 2.5 mazdas (But theyre more expensive because "Mazda") I specifically used a 2012 Fusion 2.5, the Ecoboost & skyactiv's are not applicable because theyre designed totally different than the other engines

I Too wanted to rebuild the 2.3, but doing the math on the rebuild and factoring the oil consumption problem which can occur, I decided that the 2.5 would be the engine of choice for the way i drive, and NOW i like it so much that i will be building Another 2.5 with a built top end and i plan on getting another 3 to build
bigboi407 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi407 View Post
Search the forums for the 2.5 swap thread

the 2.5 comes out of a Variety of vehicles, Mercurys, Lincolns, Fords, newer 2.5 mazdas (But theyre more expensive because "Mazda") I specifically used a 2012 Fusion 2.5, the Ecoboost & skyactiv's are not applicable because theyre designed totally different than the other engines

I Too wanted to rebuild the 2.3, but doing the math on the rebuild and factoring the oil consumption problem which can occur, I decided that the 2.5 would be the engine of choice for the way i drive, and NOW i like it so much that i will be building Another 2.5 with a built top end and i plan on getting another 3 to build


Sadly I didn't know about the Oil consumption issue and I had an engine with less then 40k miles so I wasn't to concerned with checking the Oil. That ended up being my undoing I fried 2 rod bearings. O well. I am already knee deep in this rebuild so I have to finish it because I am in need of a car. But I will look into the swap for the future. Now my only issue is finding the Main Bearing Cap bolts. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow and go to the dealer and pay an arm and a leg for them.
Amorrow37 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Short Track Racer
 
bigboi407's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorrow37 View Post
Sadly I didn't know about the Oil consumption issue and I had an engine with less then 40k miles so I wasn't to concerned with checking the Oil. That ended up being my undoing I fried 2 rod bearings. O well. I am already knee deep in this rebuild so I have to finish it because I am in need of a car. But I will look into the swap for the future. Now my only issue is finding the Main Bearing Cap bolts. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow and go to the dealer and pay an arm and a leg for them.
Theres a Dealer that sells on Ebay, QuirkParts, i bought all of my bolts from them and they were reasonably priced, idk if your local dealer would have the bolts in stock, so check around for pricing to get the best deal
bigboi407 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
madmatt2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,769
ARP makes a main stud kit. They are around $110 for the set and are re-usable.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-218-5402
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...-main-stud-kit
There are other places to buy them if you search the part number.

Last edited by madmatt2024; 06-26-2016 at 07:53 PM.
madmatt2024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs > Misc > Lounge

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome