[quote author=Vanilla_Nick link=topic=110932.msg2290362#msg2290362 date=1210047043]
OK, heres for the noob post.
I'm seriously looking at getting either an 07 or 08 MS3, I've been lurking on this site for about a weak, and from what I've seen, these cars seem pretty solid.
I test drove an 07 at a dealership last week and loved it, from a guy who never thought he would own a hatchback, it would take a pretty serious car to do that. So here's my questions.
1. The age old question. The other model's I'm looking at are the Civic SI's, and the WRX's. Mostly the SI's, the dealership where I live offers LIFETIME WARRANTY'S on engine, tranny, and power train. So how reliable are the MS3's, do you think there will be a lot of problems with them 4 or 5 years down the road? Are Mazda dealerships pretty stand up with their warranty's?
2. Do you expect the 08's to surpass the 07's in any way?
3. If I'm not exactly a gear head, is this a fun car to have?
4. Would you buy another one after you've had yours?
Now i know since this is the Mazda forums so I'm going to get a bit of a biased opinion, but try not to be too biased.
Thanks, any and all tips and criticism is accepted.
1. the SI will definitely have a lower chance of overall powertrain breakdown than the WRX and MS3 simply because it does not have the added complications of a turbocharger (and the added stresses of putting loads of hp down). i would not worry about 4-5 years. cars honestly don't usually break during the warranty...otherwise, the manufacturer would be in some serious trouble...
if you keep your car stock, you should not have any issues with mazda over warranty.
2. 08's have a few factory recalls addressed out of the box. all in all, i'd pick an 08 just to save some trouble...it's nothing major, though. now, if you're talking the 2008.5 release, it has a few added features such as alcantara in place of cloth, slightly different dash/trim, radio that supports mp3 playback, and 2 new colors. nothing interesting added to the powertrain, though.
3. yes, this is DEFINITELY a fun as hell car to own...
you are guaranteed to have a blast...but then again, the same goes to the other two cars you mentioned...it's just that you will have more fun (imo) in the MS3...
4. yes, i would definitely buy this all over again. i've not had any major issues with it and she still drives like a bat out of hell!
every car has their ups and downs, and i feel ours has a lot more ups than downs, so i have no problems recommending it or buying it again myself...=d
welcome the the forums...