FMVperformance.com : The site for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo needs - View Single Post - Nikon d40x vs. Canon Rebel xTi
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
manny
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to manny
Nikon d40x vs. Canon Rebel xTi

I'm lookin to purchase my first slr camera. I'm upgrading from a sony dsc-h3 which has served me well, but i'm ready to take the next step. I'm going to be using the camera for some general uses such as automotive photography, family events and some basic point and shoot around the city. Other than that, i'm not really trying to go pro or anything like that. I found a deal on craigslist for used d40x body with a AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens. Also included is a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG macro lens. All of this priced together comes out to be 400, each piece is obo. I've already consulted with some friends to get some tips on what to look for when buying used cameras. IMO it seems like a pretty good price. Here lies the problem, I don't know how i'd deal with the fact that I won't have zoom. I was thinking about getting the body and the 50mm, and picking up a 18-55 kit lens some time in the near future. Opinions? Also, i've always been a fan of the xti. I've never shot with one or felt one but I guess I based my opinions off of hear say. After doing some research, i've come to realize that they are both good cameras and it boils down to instincts and ergonomics. I know that the body isn't the biggest factor in photo quality, it's the lenses. I'm still a bit tied up on which to choose. If anyone would like to chime in, with some non-biased opinions, that'd be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome